| At his death in 1908, Poul la Cour had become well known as an inventor, teacher and promoter of rural electricity.
The test mill buildings in Askov were filled with different activities, and the mill itself delivered electricity to the local power plant.
J. Th. Arnfred, who started teaching at Askov in 1900, had worked closely with Poul la Cour and continued this work after la Cour’s death.
La Cour’s mission to install a wind mill on every farm, however, was not as popular any more. The price of electricity had dropped and alternating current had replaced direct current, which made it possible for the large electricity plants in the cities to supply the rural districts.
| During World War 1, electricity became scarce and wind energy regained its popularity. However, after the war, the sale of wind turbines dropped off. The large electricity plants multiplied in number, and the installation of alternate current electricity continued in many places.
In 1929, the large test turbine installed by la Cour in 1897 burnt down, and after a great deal of consideration, a new type of turbine – the Lykkegaard wind turbine — was installed.
In 1935, Askov Folk High School bought the test center from the state. However, because of the security of supply and an increased electricity consumption, electricity production from both the petroleum engine and wind turbine was ended.
| In the autumn of 1999, the test turbine buildings – which had been used as classrooms for students at the folk high school — were put up for sale. Sponsored by the Danish wind industry, the Poul la Cour Foundation bought the buildings in March 2000 with the intention of establishing a museum.